Clint's referral to get proton therapy is being reviewed, though I was hoping to hear something today from the review panel. It was an expedited referral, meaning an emergency, but nothing yet. I have a hard time sitting still waiting for others when my husband is rapidly declining (his confusion is getting worse each day), so I called Clint's surgeon, Dr. Lee, and left a detailed message as to what was going on, and asked if he would talk to the review panel to let them know HE NEEDS THIS NOW!! Dr. Lee is a fantastic surgeon who really advocates for his patients, so I have no doubt he will talk to them and make a huge difference.
In the meantime, Clint has an MRI tomorrow in the afternoon, and the proton place already called this evening to set up his preliminary preparation appointment for Monday morning at 8:15 a.m.!! YIKES!! At this point, I don't care if we have the authorization or not. We are showing up for the appointment, and if Group Health denies coverage, we will appeal until they change their mind and are forced to cover it (not to mention we will be launching a pretty big fight with contacting the Insurance Commissioner and Congressman Danny Heck, who offered to investigate Group Health's review panel.) WE WILL WIN THIS BATTLE. PERIOD. My husband's life is not a business....it is personal to us, and his life matters! He is worth fighting for. And I am so grateful to have the God of the universe on our side waging war for Clint.
Clint's mom, Diana, is flying in on Sunday, and I am so glad she is coming. We really need her. She will be here for just over two weeks, which is perfect because she'll be able to stay with Clint in Seattle while he undergoes treatment. Dr. Rockhill, the radiologist, does not want Clint traveling back and forth from home and will help find nearby housing for him. I will be home with Felicity, trying to keep things as normal as possible in her life. Poor little peanut, she is sensing the stress and says "Daddy sick" a lot. It breaks my heart knowing she feels the stress but doesn't know how to process it. I am doing my best to help her through it. We are going to Build a Bear tomorrow and making a Daddy Bear for Felicity with daddy's voice on a recording device. We will probably make one for Clint with a recording of Felicity's voice as well. I think it will help them both get through the next three weeks apart.
On a happy note, we had a wonderful visit today from our friend Steve Mansfield, Lewis County Sheriff. It was so nice seeing him and catching up, and it meant the world to Clint to have him come over. It lifted his spirits today, which were definitely in need of lifting. Thank you, Steve!!
A BIG thanks for everyone's prayers and support. I am so grateful for all of you. May our Lord God bless you thoroughly! I have had a really hard week and have been completely drained and discouraged, but God renewed my strength today and I know He is on our side! And if He is for us, who can be against us??
More updates VERY SOON!